Apple has announced several new features for AirDrop in iOS 17, making it even easier and more convenient to share files and content with other Apple users.
- NameDrop makes it easy to share your contact information with someone else without having to type it out or open the Contacts app.
- It’s a quick and convenient way to exchange contact information with someone you’re meeting for the first time.
- When you use NameDrop, the Contact Poster shows the other person’s name, photo, and contact information, so you can easily see who you’re sharing your information with.
- NameDrop only works with other Apple users.
- If you don’t want to share all of your contact information, you have to manually select which pieces of information you want to share.
- If the other person doesn’t have their AirDrop settings turned on, you won’t be able to use NameDrop.
New AirDrop gesture
- The new AirDrop gesture is a quick and easy way to start an AirDrop transfer.
- It’s especially useful if you’re trying to share something with someone beside you.
- The gesture is also more reliable than the previous method of starting an AirDrop transfer: tap on the AirDrop icon in the Control Center.
- The new AirDrop gesture only works with iPhones and iPads.
- If you’re trying to share something with someone with an older version of iOS or iPadOS, you’ll have to use the old method of starting an AirDrop transfer.
Continue AirDrop over the Internet.
- This feature allows you to continue an AirDrop transfer even if you and the other person walk out of range of each other.
- This is useful if you’re trying to share a large file or a file that would take a long time to transfer over Bluetooth.
- The transfer will continue over the Internet until it is finished.
- This feature requires that both devices are signed into iCloud.
- The transfer may not continue over the Internet if you don’t have enough iCloud storage space.
SharePlay over AirDrop
- SharePlay allows you to share music, movies, TV shows, and other content with others in real time.
- This is a great way to watch a movie with friends or family or listen to music together.
- SharePlay works with both Apple Music and Apple TV+.
- SharePlay only works with other Apple users.
- The other person must have the same content you’re trying to share.
- If the other person’s device doesn’t have enough storage space, they may be unable to join the SharePlay session.
Explicit image blurring
- This feature helps to protect children from seeing inappropriate content.
- If someone tries to send you an explicit image over AirDrop, the image will be blurred, and you will have to choose whether or not to accept it.
- This feature is turned on by default, but you can turn it off in the Settings app.
- This feature may not be effective in all cases.
- If the image is very explicit, it may still be visible even after it has been blurred.
Overall, the new AirDrop features in iOS 17 are a welcome addition. They make sharing files and content with other Apple users easier and more convenient. However, there are a few drawbacks to some of the features, such as the fact that NameDrop only works with other Apple users and SharePlay only works with Apple Music and Apple TV+.