Pinterest is a visual discovery platform that allows users to find inspiration for their creative projects. If you are looking for a platform to sell your products, Pinterest is a great option. With its large and engaged audience, visual-friendly format, and powerful marketing tools, Pinterest can help you reach your target customers and drive sales.
In this guide, we’ll walk you through the steps on how to sell on Pinterest in detail. We’ll cover everything from creating an online store to promoting your pins and analyzing your performance.
Step 1: Create an Online Store
If you want to sell your products online, you need an online store. This is where you will keep your inventory, product information, and all the other logistical details of your business.
A well-organized online store is essential for strong sales. If you haven’t already, check out our guide to building online stores for a full breakdown of how to get started.
There are many website builders that can help you create an online store, and some are better suited for Pinterest than others. Squarespace and Square Online are great options for smaller stores, while BigCommerce and Shopify offer more robust e-commerce features. All four of these builders have seamless integration with Pinterest, so you can easily connect your store to the platform.
Once your online store is up and running, you’re ready to start selling on Pinterest.
Additional tips for creating an online store:
- Choose a platform that is easy to use and that offers the features you need.
- Make sure your store is mobile-friendly.
- Use high-quality images and videos of your products.
- Write clear and concise product descriptions.
- Use relevant keywords and hashtags.
- Promote your store on social media.
With a little effort, you can create an online store that will help you sell your products on Pinterest and beyond.
2. Set Up a Pinterest Business Account
Now that you have an online store, it’s time to set up a Pinterest Business account. This will give you access to features like analytics and top pins, and it will also allow you to connect your online store to Pinterest.
There are two ways to set up a Pinterest Business account:
1. Connect a business account to a personal account:
This is the easiest option, as you can easily switch between your personal and business accounts. To do this, log in to your personal Pinterest account and follow these steps:
- Click on the menu button in the top right corner.
- Select “Add a free business account.”
- Click “Get started.”
- Fill in your business information.
- Choose your ad preferences.
- Create your first Pin.
2. Create a standalone business account:
This option gives you more control over your business account, but it can be more difficult to manage if you also have a personal Pinterest account. To create a standalone business account, go to the Pinterest Business signup page and follow the instructions.
Once you have set up your Pinterest Business account, you can start using it to promote your online store. Here are a few tips:
- Create high-quality pins: Your pins should be visually appealing and informative. Use high-quality images or videos, and make sure your descriptions are clear and concise.
- Use relevant keywords and hashtags: When you create your pins, be sure to use relevant keywords and hashtags. This will help people find your pins when they are searching for products like yours.
- Promote your pins: Share your pins on social media, and run Pinterest ads to reach a wider audience.
- Track your results: Use Pinterest Analytics to track your results and see what’s working. This will help you optimize your Pinterest marketing efforts and achieve your goals.
Setting up a Pinterest Business account is a simple way to boost your online store’s visibility and reach new customers. By following these tips, you can start using Pinterest to promote your business today.
3. Connecting your online store to Pinterest
Now that you have created a Pinterest Business account, the next step is to connect your online store to it. This will allow you to pull through product information so that you can start tagging Pins.
Pinterest integration is especially smooth on Squarespace, Square, BigCommerce, and Shopify. Here are the steps on how to connect your online store to Pinterest on each platform:
- Go to your website’s Home Menu.
- Select Settings.
- Select Connected Accounts, then Connect Account.
- Select Pinterest from the list of Social Account options.
- Log in to your Pinterest account.
- Select Allow to authorize the connection.
- Choose whether you want images posted to Pinterest automatically (we recommend no, so you can curate boards yourself).
- Select Save.
- Make sure you’re logged into your Pinterest account.
- Go to your Online Store dashboard in Square.
- Select Site Settings, then Integrations.
- Select Pinterest verification and conversion tag.
- Select Verify and add tag.
- Check that it’s the Pinterest account you want, then select Authorize app.
- It takes around a day to confirm.
Rich Pins metadata (the kind that allows you to show product information, description, and web address) are enabled by default on BigCommerce stores. If you run one product from your store through Pinterest’s Rich Pin Validator, it uses that to comb through your whole catalogue within the hour.
Shopify and Pinterest stepped up their integration in early 2020, with the former launching a dedicated app for streamlining the connection between the two. It’s free to use and requires no coding knowhow, which is always a plus.
- Once the app is installed, simply follow the sign-in prompts.
- As ever, there is a verification period, after which Pinterest will be added to your Shopify dashboard, with direct access to analytics, advertising options, and inventory details.
- The app has been a hit so far with business owners, and Pinterest throwing in $100 ad credit for new advertisers certainly hasn’t hurt.
4. Create and Organize Your Pinterest Boards
Pinterest is a visual discovery engine where people can explore, save, and organize images. As a business, you can use Pinterest to create and organize your own Boards to showcase your products and services.
When creating your Boards, it’s important to group your products together in a way that makes sense for your brand. For example, if you sell clothes, you might create Boards for different styles or occasions. You can also create Boards for inspiration, such as “Outfits for Spring” or “Summer Travel Tips.”
In addition to grouping your products together, it’s also important to use relevant keywords in your Board titles and descriptions. This will help people find your Boards when they’re searching for products or inspiration on Pinterest.
Another important factor to consider is the quality of your images. Pinterest is a visual platform, so it’s important to use high-quality images that will capture people’s attention. You should also make sure that your images are optimized for SEO, which means including relevant keywords in the image title, alt text, and description.
Finally, don’t forget to promote your Boards on other social media platforms. This will help you reach a wider audience and drive traffic to your Pinterest profile.
Best Tips for running a successful Pinterest account:
- Be consistent. The more often you post new content, the more likely people are to see your Boards.
- Engage with other users. Pin other people’s content, comment on their Boards, and follow relevant accounts.
- Use Pinterest ads. Pinterest ads can help you reach a wider audience and drive traffic to your website.
With a little effort, you can use Pinterest to reach new customers and grow your business.
Additional thoughts on the importance of keyword research and optimizing for SEO on Pinterest:
- Keyword research is essential for ensuring that your Pins are seen by the right people. By understanding what people are searching for, you can tailor your content to match their needs.
- Optimizing your Pins for SEO will help them rank higher in search results. This means that your Pins will be more likely to be seen by people who are actively looking for products or services like yours.
- Both keyword research and SEO are ongoing processes. As the search landscape changes, you’ll need to adjust your strategy accordingly. However, by putting in the effort upfront, you can reap the benefits for years to come.
5. Use Product Pins
Product Pins are the key to selling on Pinterest. When you connect your online store to Pinterest, you can access your product catalog and tag products in your images. This is similar to tagging friends in a Facebook or Instagram post.
When you tag a product in a Pinterest image, all of the relevant information about the product is pulled through, including the price, description, and availability. This makes it easy for people to find and buy the products they see on Pinterest.
Pinterest calls this feature Rich Pins. There are two types of Rich Pins: Product Rich Pins and Recipe Rich Pins. Product Rich Pins are the most common type of Rich Pin.
To create a Product Rich Pin, you first need to connect your online store to Pinterest. Once you’ve done that, you can start tagging products in your images. You can either tag the product in the image itself, or you can link to the product page on your website.
If you tag the product in the image, Pinterest will automatically pull through the product information from your online store. If you link to the product page, Pinterest will still pull through the product information, but it will also show a preview of the product page.
All of the online stores mentioned in this article generate the necessary metadata automatically, so you don’t need to do anything special to create Product Rich Pins.
Best Tips for creating effective Product Pins:
- Use high-quality images that clearly show the product.
- Write clear and concise descriptions of the product.
- Use relevant keywords and hashtags.
- Promote your Product Pins on social media.
By following these tips, you can create Product Pins that will help you sell more products on Pinterest.
6. Promote Your Pins
Pinterest is a mostly organic platform, but that doesn’t mean advertising isn’t a useful option. Promoting your pins is a way to get your brand in front of new potential customers.
To get started, head to ads.pinterest.com, where you can create ad campaigns for your brand. If the term “ad campaign” sounds a bit daunting, don’t worry – it’s just Pinterest marketing speak for “regular pin given a bit of a boost.” The Ads Manager will walk you through campaign goals, target demographics, and budget.
While organic performance should be your top priority on Pinterest, especially when you’re just starting out, ads can be a helpful tool. They’re also a great way to gauge how receptive different audiences are to your content, which you can then use to refine your content strategy.
Few things to keep in mind when creating Pinterest ads:
- Set clear goals for your campaign. What do you want to achieve with your ads? Do you want to drive traffic to your website? Increase brand awareness? Generate leads? Once you know your goals, you can tailor your ad campaign accordingly.
- Target your ads to the right audience. Who are you trying to reach with your ads? What are their interests? Where do they live? The more specific you can be with your targeting, the more effective your ads will be.
- Use high-quality images and videos. Your ads should be visually appealing and engaging. Use high-resolution images and videos that will capture people’s attention.
- Write clear and concise ad copy. Your ad copy should be clear and concise, and it should accurately reflect what your ad is about. Use strong calls to action to encourage people to click on your pins.
- Track your results and test different strategies. Once your ad campaign is live, track your results and see what’s working and what’s not. You can then adjust your strategy accordingly.
With a little planning and effort, you can create Pinterest ads that are effective and help you achieve your marketing goals.
7. Get Your Pins Noticed
Sure, here is the text in human writing with 100% unique content:
Pinterest is a visual platform, so your images need to stand out. Use bright colors, high-quality photography, and clear text descriptions to capture people’s attention.
Pinterest is a great place to use color to your advantage. Bright, eye-catching colors will help your pins stand out from the crowd. You can use color to create a cohesive look for your boards, or to highlight specific products or features.
High-quality photography is essential for Pinterest. Your images should be clear, well-lit, and free of clutter. If you don’t have professional photography skills, you can still take great photos with your phone. There are also a number of free photo editing apps that can help you improve your images.
Don’t forget about the text! Your image descriptions should be clear and concise, and they should include relevant keywords. You can also use text to add additional information about your products or services.
Be Part of the Community
Pinterest is a social platform, so it’s important to be active in the community. Pin other people’s images, leave comments, and participate in discussions. This will help you connect with other users and build your following.
Following these tips will help you create beautiful, engaging pins that will get noticed on Pinterest.
Additional tips for creating great Pinterest pins:
- Use a consistent style throughout your boards.
- Pin images that are relevant to your target audience.
- Use relevant keywords in your image descriptions.
- Pin images that are visually appealing and high-quality.
- Promote your pins on social media.
By following these tips, you can create Pinterest pins that will help you reach your target audience and grow your business.
8. Tracking Your Pinterest Performance
If you’re serious about selling on Pinterest, it’s important to track your performance over time. This will help you see what’s working and what’s not, so you can make adjustments to your strategy as needed.
Pinterest provides a robust analytics system that you can use to track your performance. To access it, go to the Analytics section of your account. There, you’ll see a variety of data, including:
- Top Pins: These are the pins that have received the most engagement, such as clicks, saves, and repins.
- Top Boards: These are the boards that have received the most engagement.
- Impressions: This is the number of times your pins have been seen.
- Engagement: This is the number of times people have interacted with your pins, such as clicking, saving, or repinning them.
- Outbound clicks: This is the number of times people have clicked on your pins and been taken to your website or online store.
You can filter all of this data by date, which is helpful for tracking your progress over time. For example, you can see which days of the week your pins perform best, or which types of pins tend to get the most engagement.
It’s important to produce regular reports of your analytics data. This will help you stay on top of your performance and make adjustments to your strategy as needed. For example, if you see that a certain type of pin is consistently performing well, you can create more pins like that. Or, if you see that a certain type of pin isn’t performing well, you can stop creating them.
It’s also important to remember that analytics data is just one part of the equation. You also need to use your gut instinct and creativity to create pins that people will love. But analytics can help you track your progress and make sure you’re on the right track.
The Importance of Flair
While analytics is important, it’s also important to remember that Pinterest is a visual platform. People are more likely to engage with pins that are visually appealing and interesting. So, don’t just focus on the data. Make sure your pins are also creative and engaging.
The Bottom Line
Tracking your performance on Pinterest is essential for success. But it’s important to remember that analytics is just one part of the equation. You also need to use your gut instinct and creativity to create pins that people will love. By combining analytics with creativity, you can create a winning Pinterest strategy.