ChatGPT is a powerful AI chatbot that can be used for a variety of purposes, from brainstorming to creative writing. But what if you want to give ChatGPT even more specific instructions? That’s where custom instructions come in.
Custom instructions in ChatGPT can be a valuable tool for tailoring the AI’s responses to your specific needs and preferences. By providing information about yourself and your desired tone, style, and format, you can guide ChatGPT to generate content that aligns with your unique voice and project objectives.
In this article, we will explore the step-by-step process of setting up custom instructions in ChatGPT.
How to Set Custom Instructions in ChatGPT
To enable custom instructions in ChatGPT, follow these steps:
Step 1: Accessing the Custom Instructions Feature
To begin, make sure you have a Plus account, as the custom instructions feature is available for Plus subscribers. Once you have logged into your account, follow these steps:
- Click the three dots next to your name, then select “Settings and Beta.”
- Enable the custom instructions feature by toggling the “Custom instructions” button to the on position.
- Click the three dots again and choose “Custom instructions” from the menu options.
Step 2: Introducing Yourself
The first question in the custom instructions setup asks you to provide information about yourself. This is your opportunity to share relevant details about your role or background. For example, if you are an educator, you can mention the grades you teach. If you are a podcaster, you can highlight your background and point of view. By providing such information, you can help ChatGPT understand your unique voice and perspective.
Step 3: Customizing the Bot’s Response
The next part of the setup allows you to specify how you want ChatGPT to respond to your prompts. You have control over factors such as response length, formality, neutrality, and more. You can also define the format of the output, whether it’s paragraphs, a bulleted list, script format, and so on. If you often transfer the bot’s responses to another application, you can ask for output in a consistent and easily transferable format.
Additionally, you have the option to include interaction tips or feedback, which can help align ChatGPT’s responses with your expectations. You can specify personal preferences, such as regional spellings, language nuances, desired topics or themes, to further customize the AI’s output.
Step 4: Adding Project Context
While the custom instructions setup does not explicitly ask for project context, you can enhance the relevance and practicality of ChatGPT’s outputs by providing this information. Think about your project’s end goal and the specific output style, tone, and format you desire. You can add details about your project’s objectives, ensuring that the generated content meets your specific needs.
By including your project context, you help ChatGPT understand the purpose behind your inquiries, enabling it to provide more focused and tailored responses.
Remember, custom instructions cannot be changed mid-conversation. If you wish to update your instructions, you will need to start a new conversation.
Once you have enabled custom instructions, you will be able to enter two sets of instructions:
- About you: This is where you can tell ChatGPT about yourself, such as your name, location, interests, and goals.
- How you want ChatGPT to respond: You can tell ChatGPT how you want it to respond to your requests. For example, you can ask ChatGPT to be formal or casual in its responses or to focus on a particular topic.
After you have entered your custom instructions, click “Save.” ChatGPT will then use this information to better understand you and to give you more personalized responses.
Related: How to Delete Your Google Bard Chats
Additional tips for using custom instructions:
- Be as specific as possible when describing yourself and your preferences. The more information you provide, the better ChatGPT will be able to understand you.
- Use keywords and phrases that you would use when talking to a human. This will help ChatGPT to better understand your intent.
- Be patient. It may take some time for ChatGPT to learn how to respond to your custom instructions.
Custom instructions are a powerful way to improve your interactions with ChatGPT. By entering some basic information about yourself, you can help ChatGPT give you more personalized and helpful responses.
Examples of custom instructions that you might use:
- My name is John Smith.
- I live in San Francisco.
- I’m interested in technology, writing, and music.
- My goal is to become a better writer.
How you want ChatGPT to respond:
- Please be formal in your responses.
- Focus on providing me with factual information.
- Use humor when appropriate.
Setting up custom instructions in ChatGPT empowers you to shape the AI’s responses according to your requirements. By introducing yourself, customizing the bot’s response, and adding project context, you can guide ChatGPT to generate content that aligns with your unique voice, style, and objectives.
Leveraging the custom instructions feature enhances the overall quality and relevance of the AI-generated responses, providing you with more accurate and personalized results.
I hope this guide helps you start with custom instructions in ChatGPT. If you have any questions, please feel free to comment below.